Friday, May 4, 2012

Gratitude


I am feeling overwhelmed with gratitude.  As I have read “Heaven Is Here”, a book written by Stephanie Nielson, I have realized how many things I have taken for granted in my life so far.  Stephanie and her husband were involved in a plane accident a few years ago, and this book describes the whole story in vivid detail.  She was young and in love, beautiful with a strong healthy body, and was a mother of four when it all happened.  After months of surgery and pain, she found herself again and is living a fulfilling and meaningful life, right up the street from Ryan and I. 

I think about the negative thoughts that take up my time, about a body that isn’t model perfect or my lack of creativity when it comes to crafts.  I think about my ugly haircut or schoolwork, an A- or burnt cookies.  The last few days, I have been overwhelmed with the realization of my blessings, and choke down tears as waves of gratitude and guilt wash over me.  I feel guilty for being so selfish and superficial, and for being blind to the abundance of an extremely blessed life.

Last night I just watched while Ryan helped with dinner.  It was one of those moments where I couldn’t believe I was lucky enough to have him as my husband and eternal friend.  This morning I was amazed by the beautiful mountains that surround us and the bright golden sun warming my skin.  I think about my family members and close friends. For the ability to see and hear and feel.  To be physically active.  For my strong body.   After listing blessing after blessing to Ryan, I was overcome with the feeling that with these blessings, our lives need to be dedicated to serving others.

I run the same hills Stephanie ran before her accident, and think about her incredible example of faith.  She knows what beauty means, and that is being a loving wife and mother.  I don’t have any reason to be ungrateful or complain, and hope to face my future with positivity, faith, and gratitude. 


3 comments:

  1. This warmed my heart! I love Stephanie's story and the light that she is spreading through her trials. I know that I should be taking a page from her book and learning to be more thankful for the amazing blessings I have.

    Thanks for this post--I needed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the "ah ha" moments in my life. I have them sporadically and they are such blessings to me and my family. Thanks for sharing yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to read her book. This post reminds me of what we talked about on our walk/hike last week. I'm so impressed at how you always are bettering yourself!

    ReplyDelete