Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Murphy's Law...

So Lauren and I were going on an outdoor outing last week and the moment we arrived at our destination the wind and dust was blowing, rain was falling, and our plans had to be tucked away for some future sunny day.  Not long after, we invited Kate and her friend Jason over for the final presidential debate.  We bought a cable cord to hook up to the TV.  To our dismay, we don't have any cable channels, not even the basic 3 or 4 that everyone gets, so we had to resort to the computer, again.  Rarely does anything that Lauren and I plan out, especially if it's fun, go according to plan. In fact, the majority of the time we have to deal with minor, but still infringing misfortunes on a daily basis.  That must happen to everyone, right?  It's not just us with bad luck, is it?

You might be wondering about the title of this post.  Murphy's Law is that anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.  Luckily our misfortunes haven't quite reached the status of Finagle's Law, which is that anything that can go wrong, will go wrong, at the worst possible moment.  Why is it that things seem to work out that way? Any ideas? From a religious perspective is the Lord simply trying our patience?  Are there always lessons to be learned when Murphy's Law strikes?  What about the idea of Karma.  Do you think our thoughts and behavior are responsible for these mishaps?

I've thought a lot about how to get the best of Murphy's Law, maybe even enjoy it.  The main thing that comes to my mind is the adage come what may and love it.  That seems like fitting advice for frequent misfortune.  But can you really love it, no matter what comes, all the time?  Can attitude, optimism, or any preconceived plan get the best of ol' Murph?

Anyway, it's an interesting adage that got me thinking today.  If you have any tips, strategies, or game plans to combat Murphy's Law that have consistently worked for you, do share!


                         

2 comments:

  1. Back-up plans! :) By the way, this is for Lauren, did you get my reply text? I think there's something funky going on in the time and space between our phones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually find that Murphy's law hits when there is a lack of planning. I aim to get out the door 20 minutes before I have to pick up the kids from school. With two babies, stuff always happens and delays me. If I just assumed nothing unexpected would happen, then I'm assuming my kids aren't in the picture haha.

    ReplyDelete