Tuesday, January 29, 2013

From Books to Baking


I would just like to say I am LOVING my new year’s resolutions.  Ryan and I posted them all over the house, and it is so nice to constantly be reminded of this year’s important goals we have set.  I am really enjoying one resolution, in particular, and it has to do with books.

Books.
Books.
Books.

I am reading like crazy!  My goal was to finish one book a month for a year, but I am wondering if I should be upping that number to 2 or 3. 
This month, I have read:

1.       How will you measure your life (amazing)

And am almost done with:

1.       Living Successfully with Screwed Up People
2.       Keep Calm and Carry On
3.       The Millionaire Next Door

It is such a wonderful feeling to wake up earlier than usual, eat a quick bowl of oatmeal in my slippers and sweats, and hop back into warm covers to read a good book. It is still quiet outside and everything seems so peaceful and calm. Then,  I realize that my little slice of heaven must end for a while, and that hopefully I can roll out of bed early enough the next day to read to my heart's content.

"Keep Calm and Carry On" comes from an amazing story.  Check it out:


That slogan definitely has struck a chord in my heart the last few days.  And the book is just as uplifting.  I am learning to let go of things that aren't in my control, and to be a positive, hopeful person through all of life's challenges.  

I feel terrible that I may be describing my life to be some kind of miserable wreck - it is not at all!  Ryan and I are happy, we have wonderful friends, have a warm home, supportive family, get to spend more time together than the past, and are truly looking forward to the upcoming year.  But sometimes I just need to vent about the times that are hardest for us mostly me,(and that outlet tends to be through writing on this blog).

Lately, I am finding that cooking and baking take my troubles away for a few moments. I have loved the "Mumford & Sons" pandora station that accompanies my cooking escapades, and feel so satisfied pulling the perfectly baked bread out of the oven.  The favorite recipes tried so far are:

1. Whole Wheat Bread
2. Sweet Potato Hummus
3. Lemon Yogurt Bread
4. Granola
5. Aloo Gobi 
6. Spring Rolls & Hoisin Sauce
7. Kettle Corn
8. A new chocolate chip cookies

These may or may not have all been cooked within a week's time...maybe a little over.  But still, it's madness! Ryan doesn't seem to mind :)  Up next on the menu: Sweet potato fries, homemade hamburger buns, and black bean burgers with all the fixins.  Feel free to stop by, I'm sure I will make too much as usual!  
    

No comments:

Post a Comment