Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Spring Cleaning Came Early

With a move only a few months away, we decided we had better start going through our things before our little bebe joins us.  I'll admit, I actually LOVE going through my old things.  I like being able to relive the memories, but also feel the satisfaction after throwing/giving it away.

Yesterday, we decided to go through our "travel room", or the room we have dedicated to all of our artwork from around the world, a world map, and books upon books upon books.  Piled high among these books were old spirals, schools notes, textbooks, etc. and random items in between.

Something I found to be hilarious - 

Ryan was first.  He started thumbing through all of his notes from MCAT prep, his hardest science classes from his undergrad, and you could almost see him relive the pain of all the hours of preparation and study.  I looked at him sympathetically, and encouraged him to think honestly about whether or not he would ever use them again.  Slowly and regrettably, he started to place all his notes in the trash - I was so proud.

Then it was my turn.

I found the stack of business law papers I had written, along with the creative pieces I had especially loved.  My mind went rushing back to Utah State, and the sleepless nights that went into these difficult papers.  It went back to my roommates at the time, and fun moments from that time of life.  I remembered how satisfied I felt turning them in, and receiving good grades.  I held them up to my chest and said, "oh honey I can't get rid of these??"  Then, with a little less sympathy and more of a "if I had to, you had to" attitude, Ryan gave me the look...and I even more slowly, started throwing each paper away.

Isn't it funny how things we haven't looked at in years, all of the sudden become so important to you?  I think it is the rush of memories.  It throws you back to another time of life that could have been easier, or harder, or just different.  Getting rid of things is going to be a challenge, and will take a LOT of encouragement, but I think the process of reliving memories we may have forgotten will make it all worth it :)

 photo signaturesmallcopy_zps5985ef6a.png

3 comments:

  1. Oh business law..... <3 great memories. I'm so glad I got to be your roommate even for a short time! -Dani

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still can't get rid of some things that took SOOOOO much work and effort!

    ReplyDelete