Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Expectations

This year was our first experience watching general conference with a baby.  In the past, we would cozy up with some goodies, blankets, and a little notepad, and comfortably watch every bit of it - soaking it all in. 

This year, to feed Cal I had to shut myself in a completely different room because he thought they were talking to him, and he wanted to make sure they had his full attention!  Then, when I did bring him back, he would beam and coo and do anything to get those small people in the screen to smile back at him.  After getting bored of that, he would need a nap so one of us would take him back and put him down, meanwhile missing yet another talk or two.  So, needless to say, I think I may have got a full two talks in throughout the whole deal.  What a change that was!

It was a struggle for me, the first few months transitioning.  Similar to conference, attending church was usually a spiritually productive experience.  Quiet, reverent sacrament meetings, thoughtful discussion in both Sunday School and Relief Society...now Sundays seem to be a day to keep my head above water, and I only have one baby!  

I vented to some siblings recently about my feelings, how I don't even know why I go to church if all I do is distract a tired baby, or feed a hungry baby during the three hour block.  "What is the dang point??" I would ask them.  Each one looked at their spouse and smiled, saying, "Welcome to the next decade of your life!"  I came to realize, that throughout the different stages of your life, church will mean something different.  In the past, it was to fully exploit all of the wonderful messages and talks and to go home filled.  Now, it is to go to church.  Done.  There you have it!  I was getting down on myself for not getting anything out of church, but, I have a new mindset.  Just get there, with a positive attitude, be somewhat put-together and know that that's enough for now.

 photo signaturesmallcopy_zps5985ef6a.png

No comments:

Post a Comment