Sunday, January 11, 2015

A New Year, A Fresh Start

It has taken me a long time to decide on specific resolutions for 2015.  I wanted to make an honest assessment of my life right now, where I am at personally.  I looked at myself as a wife, mother, sister, in-law, friend, aunt, etc. and self-reflected and made an honest evaluation.  I thought about areas where I could definitely improve, and ways I could become better.  It always makes me feel a bit overwhelmed - leaves me wondering if I will ever be able to repair lost relationships, or strengthen the ones I have now, or if I will ever be able to break a bad habit or learn a new skill. 
 After finally shaking those thoughts of self-doubt, I think I've come up with a pretty good plan for this year.  Most are personal, but here are a few I am going to work on specifically:

1.  A phone is a phone.  I NEVER want to be the mom who misses the priceless, once-in-a-lifetime moments, and things like instagram and even texting have definitely been a distraction.  I want to use my phone as it was originally made - to call/text to stay in touch and communicate but not to the point where it becomes excessive.  

2.  Mark Twain said, "Comparison is the death of joy."  Isn't that the truth?  It is so hard to see your own goodness, and to feel genuine happiness when you are in a state of constant comparison.  That is a struggle I definitely have.  Whether it be looks, or income status, or what we may think is an "easy life" from the outside looking in, it absolutely robs me of feeling personal satisfaction or being at peace with my own life.  I have so much to be grateful for.  A healthy body, a loving family, a remarkable husband, an angel baby boy, a good head on my shoulders...in an amazing article found on the church's website about unrighteous comparison, the Author Steve Furtick explains, “One reason we struggle with insecurity: we’re comparing our behind-the-scenes to everyone else’s highlight reel.” My goal is to make it a habit to NOT compare.  To feel genuine happiness for other people's successes, and to be satisfied with what life has brought me for the time being.  

3.  Read "Jesus the Christ" (the illustrated, annotated version).  I recently had a realization that my scriptural, and even doctrinal understanding is weak.  Having left the college scene (and the amazing religion classes that go along with it) I feel like my personal scripture study has been poor and not very productive.  I want to kick-start my newfound desire for a firm, sure knowledge of the gospel and its teachings.  

4.  Contribute financially by the end of the year.  This was another emotional battle I've been fighting this year.  I went to college, worked towards a degree, graduated top of my class, yet feel like I graduated with no applicable skills.  Dancers teach dance, and photographers have shoots, nurses go to the hospital and a school teacher can teach or sub.  Here I am, as a marketer, and I feel like I can't make money from home, at least in any way that fulfills me.  But I want to support our little family in some way!  So, my goal is either to learn a new skill or dust off an old one, and make it happen.  

There's a few more that are close to my heart, but I am motivated more than ever to see these goals through.  Not just this year, but *fingers crossed* forever.  I can do this! Ryan will share his soon :)  photo signaturesmallcopy_zps5985ef6a.png
x

No comments:

Post a Comment