Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Grandpa's Funeral

Every Valentine's Day, one of Ryan's "surprises" (he know's it is coming) is the past year's blog book.  It has been such a fun way to chronicle and relive some fun memories and we are so happy we started it when we did.  We have already gone through so much in our short almost four years of marriage, and it hopefully will be a way for our kids to get a peek into our younger years!  And think we are semi cool!

That being said, there are a few events in 2014 that I have yet to write about, so these next few days I hope to pack in some pictures and memories, before we officially begin 2015's blog posts.  

My Grandpa passed away the Monday before Thanksgiving, and it was a complete surprise.  He had gone down to lunch that afternoon, and slipped away during his afternoon nap.  Head resting back on his comfy chair, hands clasped together - a peaceful sleep.  Although it was a complete shock, and left many people regretful for not having seen him just one more time, everyone was filled with joy when we envisioned my sweet grandma waiting to embrace him.  He was so miserable without her, and we are grateful they are together again.  That is something I love about the church - our understanding and belief of a life after death brings so much peace to the soul.

Plans were quickly made and flights were booked in no time, and every grandchild but two (that makes...I think 24 of us?) made it out to the funeral.  The night before, we gathered in the small funeral home in downtown Malad, Idaho, and each and every one of us shared our memories of Grandpa.  Being the youngest grandchild, I didn't have too many memories that were as vivid and lively as my older cousins.  It made me feel like I got aced out after hearing such funny, or tender memories of him.  

Something that stood out to me was my grandpa's genuine desire to serve.  He was a pharmacist and would help anyone, at anytime, and anywhere.  And he was known for it.  He may not have ever had a leadership calling at church, or been a great example of reading the scriptures, but he lived a life of charity.  And that, to me, is all that matters to our Heavenly Father.  It is who we become and how we treat others, not just going through the motions.  

I hope to be like that, too.  

Ps.  After the funeral I got to spend a day and a half in Provo with some of the greatest people I know - the Palmers.  Wow.  I love them.  And miss them terribly.  

My BFF cousin Rachael and her sweet baby Maddie.  We do everything together, even plan babies ;)

What it actually takes to get babies to look at the camera, and to cover their coughs in the meantime (me)

My smokin' hot sisters (we missed you katie!!)

cant...look...into...the light....

Verlin Allen.  What a dapper dan.

This is probably my favorite picture of my grandparents.  They were 16 or 17 here, and just look like they are so happy and in love.  I also think my grandpa has serious style.

Cal lovin' on B Crow.  

On our way up the Y!

We made it!  We facetimed Ryan from the top, because it just didn't feel right to be up there without him.

Palmers.  The BEST people.

Visiting the Achesons.  Also dear, dear people.  A big part of our heart is still down the street from their house!  We miss you tree streets!

 photo signaturesmallcopy_zps5985ef6a.png

No comments:

Post a Comment